We are delighted to announce the benefiting charity of the Scottish Pharmacist Awards is Alzheimer Scotland.
“Alzheimer Scotland exists to ensure that nobody has to face dementia alone. We offer a wide range of vital support services, practical information and emotional care to people living with dementia, their families and carers across Scotland. Awareness-raising, campaigning and supporting dementia research are also central to our organisation. Our national projects include;
- 24-hour Freephone Dementia Helpline which provides information and emotional support to anyone affected by dementia. Our Helpline receives on average 5,000 calls and emails per year, with around 38% of those calls being received during the night and at crisis point.
- 33 specialist Dementia Advisors across Scotland deliver personalised support that enables people with dementia to remain active, respected and included members of our communities and they organise a wide range of community activities designed to achieve this. These fun, interactive groups include Dementia Cafés, singing groups, allotment projects and sport reminiscence networks.
- Dementia Research: We fund research to improve the lives of people with dementia, now and in the future, including our world-renowned Dementia Research Centre and Brain Tissue Bank in Edinburgh.
- Community Activity Organisers bring together volunteers and people with dementia to help us sustain activities and address the ever-increasing demand for more support for both people with dementia and their carers, who often feel overwhelmed trying to cope with the condition.
- Dementia Nurses: Our specialist NHS Dementia Nurses are based in almost every health board and work to empower health and social care staff to deliver personalised care, ensuring that people with dementia receive the dignity, respect and care they are entitled to.
We work tirelessly to make a difference for thousands of families in Scotland affected by dementia, making sure that nobody faces dementia alone.
For more information please visit www.alzscot.org or call our 24-hour Freephone Dementia Helpline (0808 808 3000) for support.”